Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Picking My Battles...



Raising children with special needs is different than raising typical kids.  That seems like a given.  I knew that at the start of the journey. But I have found myself surprised at the kinds of things that are no longer important to me as a parent.  

Like what, you ask? Let’s see…I let AJ eat every meal in the living room.  Yep, that’s right, in front of the TV.  I never dreamed I would be THAT parent!  However, it’s the only way she sits still long enough to eat a whole meal!   Another ridiculous thing I let AJ do is eat off the floor.  Yes, you heard that correct…the floor.  Now before you call CPS, let’s be clear I do not put food on the floor and ask her to eat it.  She is incredibly clumsy and drops everything.  When she drops food, she has a traumatic response.  She MUST pick it up and eat it.  When I try to intervene, it becomes a fight-or-flight battle over food.  That snowballs into more trauma response issues and well, you see, it’s just not emotionally healthy for her if I push the issue.  I DO, however, calmly talk her through what’s safe at the time.  I TRY to have her look at the food item and attempt to talk her through making a good choice.  If it has cat hair or other visible dirt, let’s put it in the trash and get a new one or at least wash it off.  She has been able to make the right choice about 40% of the time as long as I do not try to physically intervene.  On a related note, she does have a great immune system!  

Does your family do things that a ‘typical’ family may not?  I really enjoy our special needs family think-outside-of-the-box differences! I think maybe that our adaptation skills just might make us more ‘evolved’ than typical families!  Hee Hee! 

2 comments:

  1. I know it sounds terrible but I usually don't intervene between the children when they are arguing over something unless I know it cannot be solved without an adult. another thing is with my girls I have learned to let them get hurt. I was very protective over them for a long time to the point id have anxiety attacks. my children now know what will hurt them because they have experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't sound terrible at all, Tegen! Sounds like good parenting to me! :)

    ReplyDelete